Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Making Strides

Little Lucy is going places...


 and against all expectations...


she is walking...

tentatively...

gently...

slowly and carefully...

but walking...


after 9 weeks in two (non weight bearing) casts...


confined to a wheelchair.


I have to admit, we were concerned.

Our physical therapist told us that Lucy would have to learn how to walk all over again...

that she would need intensive therapy following the surgery...

that when the casts came off, we would start with just a few seconds of standing (not walking) at a time.

The doctor told us that precious Lucy's feet were the worst he had ever seen...

 that this was not going to improve her gait tremendously but would prevent it from getting worse...

and baby girl wasn't walking all that well before all of this.

Walking was hard for her and she fell...


a lot...


and my sweet one kind of enjoyed having a bit of a break from all of that while others wheeled her around...


so we were a little concerned and we prepared ourselves for a long road of therapy and a return of the complacency that we had been fighting so hard against for the past 18 months...

but God's timing is always perfect and while having Lucy confined to a wheelchair just a few months after Lizzie's wild wheelchair adventure was tough...


the Lord knew exactly how to set it all up cause Lucy watched her sister...


experienced her determination...


 absorbed it all and opened her spirit up to the courageousness that the Lord had already placed within her...


and on the day that they removed her casts...


 she walked...


and she hasn't stopped walking...


and trying...


and while I know we still have a long road ahead of us and while I know that precious Lucy will always need to try just a bit harder than most...


I also know that the Lord is firmly planting himself in her heart and whether Lucy will ever run a marathon or not...


I know that her journey will be filled with the blessings and inspiration that come from trusting in His strength and in His courage and in His love.


These are Lucy's first, tentative, trusting steps on the path that He has laid out before her and once again I find myself grateful to be able to witness these beautiful journeys.

Some days are hard but it is through the hard that His work is the most vibrant. 


So we press on and lean in and learn to look beyond the moment and appreciate the growth.  The kind of growth that can only come from our complete depletion that leads to our complete dependance.

 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  2 Corinthians 12:9

1 comment: