Saturday, October 30, 2010

Sunday Snapshot - Christian

Well, it's official!


 We have a teenager in the house! 


Our very first teenager and I am oh so glad that this is the child who is leading us into teenagerhood!


 cause if it were this brother...


 or this sister....


 I'm just sayin'!  Hehe!

This child was born on a stormy night 13 years ago and as nervous as I was about having my first child, the moment the nurse put him in my arms, I knew I had found my purpose in life. 


 I had never pictured myself as a Mom but that child changed my life forever.  He was cute and I was hooked!

We have had our ups and downs, cause well, he is a boy (heh) but many more ups than downs.  He is sweet and smart and loving and interested in everything, especially now, girls (oh my) or should I say one girl in particular!  His first girlfriend.  Sigh!

I can so vividly remember rocking this big teenager in his favorite rocking chair when he was a lot younger and a whole lot smaller.  I would get so frustrated when night after night he would wake and ask to be rocked and just as he would fall asleep and I would ever so gently place him back in his crib, his beautiful eyes would pop open and in his sweetest 2 year old voice, he would say, "moe wock!" 

One night, however, as I held him in my arms, rocking him for the umpteenth time, I suddenly flashed forward to when my first born was far too big to fit in my lap and far too old to want to be rocked and I cried and tried to take in all of the moment and remember every detail and savior every single second of those midnight rocks - just the two of us.

Well, he might be too big and too old now to be rocked but I will always remember that time with him and savior the memories that I knew as his mother, I needed to lock away. 

His birthday came on a Tuesday this year (yawn), so he hasn't had a true celebration with his friends yet but we did have a mini little family celebration


complete with presents and a giant card made by his lovin' brothers


and cake

who knew you had to actually buy the decorator tip separately - huh!
did you know that a family of 7 can just about polish off an entire ugly, 2 layer chocolate cake in one sitting??






yeah, for real!!

unless of course you don't like birthday cake

Know what he got for his 13th birthday?


Money and clothes - no more toy trucks (his fav at 2 years old) - sigh!

My sweet, funny, athletic, smart and incredibly compassionate teenage child - Happy Birthday!

He is 13 and while he has his first job and his first girlfriend, and is almost as tall as me, when I look at him - he is my adorable little 2 year old playing with his dump truck and asking for "moe wock." 

We are very proud of the young man that you have become and cannot wait to see what your future holds.  Oh and your favorite rocking chair will be waiting - for - your - first - adorable - 2 year old!!  Yikes!

To join in on more Sunday Snapshots go here,



Ni Hao Y'all

13 comments:

  1. Annie, It happens way too quickly, doesn't it? He sure a handsome guy!!!!!! Happy Birthday, Christian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Christian!

    Let me tell a little secret...as they get older, you can really delight in them! Yes! I used to think I never wanted my oldest to grow up, but as he has grown I love watching the wondeful young man that he has become. I also love that our relationship has gone to one where we both enjoy just being with each other. You have a lot to look forward too, and so does Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, TIME goes by way too FAST!!! Well at least us mommies have our snapshots implanted in our brains!...hugs to you and your birthday boy!
    Donna ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Christian!
    And I'm pretty impressed about the cake...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a precious post, and a great reminder to cherish these moments while mine are little. Happy Birthday to your new teenager!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to your son, love the cake pictures. I have 4 teenage sons in the house, they are definately a different breed of human.

    ReplyDelete
  7. happy happy birthday to your first teenager. He looks like such a JOY to his family. I loved seeing all your family memories. Oh, and the cake thing, yeah...we're the same :) Except our cakes are usually way uglier if they're made here at home :) They're nasty, but they taste good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy 13th Birthday Christian!! What a wonderful young man, I know you are becoming....gotta with that sweet momma of yours!

    It's so weird, isn't it, when you look back and still see the toddler in them, yet their teens now??!! And we're now looking at our oldest at 24 and I can STILL see that sweet 2-yr old, blonde-haired, blue-eyed, cute as a button boy of mine...and now he's married for 2 years and who know when he'll be looking into the eyes of his own child. WOW! It happens all so quick. So glad you know it and are enjoying every sweet minute now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahh...the first teenager. Can't say I'm so much looking forward to when I make that post years from now. I'm a bit nervous about that season! Love the picture of his little sister and don't feel bad about the cake. This family could do the same and we have one less person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a sweet post, Annie! That first child that leads us into parenthood has no idea how special that is. They'll always be our babies! Happy birthday to your handsome Christian! :)

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is my first visit to your blog and I am so touched by your wonderful heart and sense of humor. Congratulations on your big boys birthday. Crazy how fast they grow!!! I will be checking out your future posts ... I have a nine year old who totally thinks she's a teenager ;) Us moms have to stick together and glean from each other as we learn- hee hee. Much love to you and your precious family. Janine

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the laugh! I'm even glad the other two aren't leading your family into the teenage years!! Great pics!!

    Happy Birthday to your oldest!

    ReplyDelete