Saturday, December 19, 2020

Boots

So a few months back, there was this cat...

and he kept hanging around...

cause apparently stray cats just love homes with 8 kids, 4 dogs and 2 resident, crazy cats!

I mean come on!

I am the "Dog Lady"...

except now I am the "Dog Lady" AND the "Wow, You Have 8 Kids Lady"!

Somehow out in stray cat land, things got all jumbled up cause "The Cat Lady" is NOT one of my official titles!

For real!

However, every cat that we have owned (and I use that term lightly😉) has chosen us!

From Memow...

To GiGi aka Grumpy Girl...

To Boo...

To Doc...

And now Boots!

For months and months, he watched us.

At night, I would see his face looking in but he would not let me near. 

Slowly, the end of our porch became his safe spot and slowly some of the fear began to fade...

*some*

He began to hiss less and "talk" more and then one day...

He came close enough to actually touch my leg...

 with his tail😉

He still wasn't sure, but after months of feeding and patience and lots of cans of Tuna... 

I got him!

And he wasn't happy!

And I was worried.

After working so hard to gain his trust, I just knew we would be starting all over so I prayed.

I took him to the vet and I prayed.

When I picked him up, he wasn't sure and he wasn't happy but he was calm.

So I watched him this time and as he began to understand that he was "home"...

he melted into me and allowed me to pet him...

as well as my partner in crime rescue, Lizzie...

Not only was his trust restored but God seemed to place such a peace within him.

He exhaled and finally seemed to feel safe.

So now what! 

We have these other two crazy cats who don't really like each other, much less this porch prowler!

But with age comes wisdom... and older children!

*wink*

Because now I have this grown child and this grown child has an apartment and... 

a sweet girlfriend...

and they needed a cat!

Right?

Right!

Done!

And while Boots' health journey hasn't been easy so far, his life now sure is...


and I get to watch as my first born chooses wisely and loves well!


And while Boots is still sporting "the cone of shame"...

I think he has determined that even with the "cone of shame", apartment life is way better than porch life!

He is sweet and snuggly and I honestly cannot believe that our first "grand" is a cat and not a dog!

Go figure!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Annie :) I am not a cat or dog person, but I am a kid person. Our family is much like yours--3 birth kids and 5 Chinese born adoptees ranging in age from 24 to 10. Your advocacy blog was instrumental in us finding our now 10 year old son and bringing him home exactly 5 years ago. I am so glad that you are blogging again. I am so encouraged to read about your kiddos and your family journey. I don't personally know a family like ours, so it's good for me to know that there are others out there. This is such a sweet story, and obvious that Boots has a bright future ahead. Also, a beautiful picture of Christian and his girlfriend! -- MayLynne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear MayLynne! I am so happy you commented and yes, our families are so similar! My oldest is 23 and our youngest is 12. There are so many more families like ours and it is SO good to connect every now and again. Talking through the ups and the downs with someone who is also living it out helps so much!! I pray all is well with you and your family!

      Delete