Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Tie Man

Ok, so as I have posted about before, our older two boys are taking Cotillion Classes. These classes meet once a month and are all about manners (very important down here in the South), dancing (very important to 2 boys born to a Daddy with no rhythm - sorry honey) and etiquette (very important to well, their Grandmothers)! So anyway, once a month the boys get all gussied up and head over to Mrs. K. to learn them some manners, yall!! Their Cotillion ensemble (their duds) consists of a jacket, khaki pants and dun, dun, dun, dun.... a tie!! Yep the clothing accessory that can strike fear into the hearts of even the toughest of men!! My boys, however, don't seem to be bothered by it at all, dare I say even a little bit excited about it!!! SHOCK!! Their mother, on the other hand, thought it was great (my little men, sniff, sniff) until the only person in the house who actually knew how to tie a tie, was not in the house or even the state when Cotillion time rolled around again!! OH NO!!!!!! Well, you should have seen Momma and son desperately trying to figure out how to tie a dern tie!!!! Can it be that hard??? Apparently so!! We were twisting and pulling and bending and folding and eventually knotting and I thought I had better stop before I actually caused bodily harm to my son!! I then had (I must say) a brilliant idea!! We could look it up on the Internet! Certainly we could find an illustration about tying a tie, right?? Well, not only did we find an illustration but we found a whole series of videos showing us novice tie tyers (is that a word?) how to tie. We even had several different forms of the tie to choose from. Did you know that there were 4 different ways to tie a tie and that actually have names??? It's true!!!

There is the Four in Hand Knot



and the Pratt Knot



and the Half Windsor Knot



and last but not least is the Windsor Knot (I guess this would be the full Monty Windsor knot - hehe)



So there ya have it! All you wanted to know about tying a tie and then some!! To check out his videos (you know, just in case you are having an extreme tie emergency) go to www.tie-a-tie.net and oh yeah, THANKS TIE MAN!!!!! Hehe!!!!

1 comment:

  1. My oldest did that. My girlfriends daughter needed a partner for it so we had him go. He enjoyed it for the most part (meeting the girls) but I never did send my second son! He needs more than once a month training!! ;)

    Hugs,
    Carla

    ReplyDelete